Thursday, November 11, 2010

Motivation vs. Action

I have had the great distinction of partnering with a great company that promotes and hosts motivation seminars.  Many of the speakers that are brought in discuss their personal successes and even acute failures.  These speakers range from political favorites to sports legends.  Each speaker’s story ranges from the humble beginnings, drastic circumstances, and personal fears they had overcome.  They bring with them many “Aha” moments that leave a lasting imprint in the hearts, minds and souls of those in attendance.  I’ve been able to hear these amazing stories, and not only did it benefit me, but lit a fire that propelled me to take action. But for some reason I was reluctant to take a forward step in achieving my personal dreams.  I was hoping for it to magically happen.
For others that have not attended a seminar like that one just described, perhaps you’ve read a book or seen a documentary of average people overcoming obstacles that have truly touched your soul and caused you to reflect on the circumstances in your life.  As you reflect, some question may come to mind such as:  does life bring more than mediocrity?  What must I do to make a difference in society? What needs to change in my life for me to start a business?  These are some of the questions that I have asked myself in one of the lowest points in my life.  I lost everything, job, money, and self dignity.  I was succumbed by indebtedness.  Like many, I read books on achieving greatness and watched documentaries.  All in all, I was motivated, pumped for about 2 days, then I stood idle just reliving what it could be if something like this happened to me.
One speech by a close friend reminded me that I can attend all the seminars I wanted, read all the books that the world has ever printed, however, until I was willing to step out of the boat, I would only be dreaming. My initial reaction was; who does this person think he is telling me this?  Nevertheless, I did not say a word and let the remembrance of every speaker and book I read stew in my mind for a day.  I remembered each person say; that I must make the choice to do something regardless of what others think or say about me.  This was a breaking point in my life. 
I finally realized that in existence, everything has a life span before it dies. Your dreams are no different. If you neglect your dreams or calling, it will deteriorate.  When my dreams were met by personal action, I was able to move forward in my pursuit of life altering significance.  To achieve this step I needed to take action and run after my goals as if today was the last day on this earth. 
Some ask themselves; what is my assignment? What is my calling? These would be fair questions. To determine your passion in life, ask yourself; whose tears affect you? Whose enemies are you willing to confront? Whose problems bring you pain? When you answer these questions, then you will know your assignment.  It is so easy to get caught up in saying that my idea is not a multi-million dollar idea, and this may be true.  Very few started off with a million dollar idea . Moreover, when you start out small and grow your idea it becomes bigger than you could ever imagine.  But the key step is to start.
I would rather fail trying to do something with my life instead of reminiscing on the “what if’s” of life. Success from mediocrity hinges on your ability to follow your dreams to the fullest.  I will be the first to say that it is not easy, taking action will challenge you, will cause you to become creative and do the menial things to make your dreams become a reality.  That, my friends is the benefits of taking responsibility for your dreams.
No one person can do this for you.  You may have to go after your dreams alone, without anyone cheering you on.  However, the end result will be worth it all.  Isn’t this what we all want?  Doing the things we love and to help others through our dreams.  Take heed of your life, for success is waiting on you to take the first step.
 Felix R Garcia
debtnation.org

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I am in the "I need to get out of the boat stage." I have been to seminars, classes, and read books. I need action which might include relocation for me. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all been there Wendy. I try to speak from my experiences in "getting out the boat." It's time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of us, like myself, have to be pushed, pulled or dragged out of the boat! I have known that I needed to change my career path for sometime, but I kept waiting for God to move me. In His time, He has moved me. I am on the precipice of jolting forward. I had to actively participate, but God had to be the driving force. Your blog stuck a deep cord within me. It is always a comfort to know that you are not alone, that others are standing beside you and attempting to find solutions to the same challenges that you face. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teiauna... I believe that many that read your comment feel the same way. You hit it right on the head. I love the line of "I am on the precipice of jolting forward." I believe that your passion to move forward will drive you to untold sucesses. Keep the fire burning.

    ReplyDelete